
I have a snow day today. I slept in, (dreamed of sugar plums and stuff, obviously), woke up late and have since listened to all the Christmas music I could whilst cleaning my bathroom and getting clothes ready to pack for my trip home. You might have heard, but the DC area got about 2 feet of snow this past weekend. It was magical! Here's how it went...
Friday at work everyone was placing bets on how much it would snow. "Oh come on," one person said, "they always predict feet of snow and we never get it...I say we'll get 4 inches, max." Another two guys made bets over and below the 8 1/2 inch mark. Well, we got everything those weather peeps predicted. On Friday night I left my church's Christmas party about 8:45 and it was snowing. The drive home was fine because nothing had accumulated yet, but by Sunday morning my car was snowed in completely. All Friday night and Saturday and Saturday night it snowed. There wasn't a moment when it wasn't snowing. It was amazing, I tell you! Roomie K and I went for a walk to the park, played on the playground equipment, met a neighbor for a snowball fight (even the snow was really too powdery for packing) and enjoyed the great outdoors. It's amazing how astronomical amounts of snow (for this area) bring out the nicest and friendliest in people. I said "hi neighbor" so many times my throat was sore. Okay, I didn't really say that. How cliche. What I really said was, "Hi, looking good [referring to anyone who was snow shoveling or cross country skiing or perhaps sledding], keep up the good work! Lots of snow, eh?" It was great. Saturday night when Roomie K and I walked to our old neighbors' house for movies and hot chocolate, we just walked right up the middle of all the main roads, singing Christmas carols and waving to passers by. There were more pedestrians on the road than there were cars. The snow was so soft and beautiful and piled up so high and we pretty much wandered through a winter wonderland all day. Of course now the snow has been plowed and salted and it's started to melt a wee bit so it doesn't have that picturesque quality anymore, but at least I don't have to be at work! Here are some pictures from the best snow day of the year, Saturday, December 19th.
This is our 5th roommate, Diego The Cardinal. Well, he wants to be our 5th roommate. He tries every day to break into our house through the windows. After months of trying, he has yet to be successful.

This is our newest roommate, Roomie W. This picture was taken about 2 minutes before he gave up on freeing his car from the mounting snow drifts.

You think this is a lot of snow? We haven't even experienced half of it at this point.
My phone's ringing and it takes a lot to get to it. Roomie K and I are headed to the park to play in the snow. Play ground equipment is so much more fun when there are 15 inches of snow on the ground. Especially twisty slides.
Maybe I fell off this thing a couple times. Maybe. Doesn't mean I'm too big for it! Errrr...
Ah tranquility. Snow, I love you forever.
It was delicious, as you might imagine. Thought about making those snow drinks Mom and us kids would make on a good snowy day, but it never happened.
Time to go home after a good afternoon of rough housing in the snow. My pants were really wet.

1 comment:
Love the pictures! Looks like you had a grand time in the snow.
Post a Comment