Anyway, here are some more deets on my life since vacation. I'm not gonna sugar coat this, people, I was not excited to come back home after my family reunion. It was so much fun and so good to be with family and it was not good to come back to work and to the last month spent with Roomie K before she moved away. Depressing! However, there was a bright spot in all this emotional upheaval. My iPhone.
Now, I've wanted an iPhone for years. You know how you want to buy something but you want to "sleep on it" so you don't make an impulse buy you'll regret? Well I had "slept" on this decision for over a year and I knew what I wanted: an iPhone. However, those little cookies are not cheap and I stick to a strict moral code when spending my money. And by strict moral code I mean budget. Anyhoo, I got back home from Trinidad and checked my bank account to make sure I'd been paid while I was away. Yes! Money! And not only the regular moneys, but I'd gotten a leetle cash reward from work as a thank you for working so well without direct supervision for a year. I think you know what I did next...
I walked into the Apple store with Roomie B and said to the nice young worker man, "I'm here to buy an iPhone." "Great!" he replied. Oh this is good, I thought, he's really excited to sell me one. "Unfortunately we're all out of the new ones, though," he said regretfully. "You interested in an older model." Ummmm, NO. WHAT?! I COME HERE TO SPEND MY HARD EARNED MONEY ON A NEW SUPER COOL PHONE AND YOU TELL ME YOU'RE OUT OF THEM?!!!!! OUTRAGE!!!!! I was not pleased. In fact, I was irate. Sure on every other day of the year they have plenty, but when I'm finally ready to purchase, no dice!
So I went home and stewed. And then I considered going to one of the many other Apple stores in the area to buy one. But I didn't want to have to make a special trip. I mean, the store I'd just gone to was right. near. my. house! So I thought, why not order one online? Um...three weeks shipping time. NOOOOOOOO!!! The universe was against me, I think. But no, I was NOT going to waste my time visiting another part of town to get the immediate satisfaction of an iPhone. I wanted to purchase it NOW and by golly I did it. I ordered it online. And waited...and waited...and waited. My dumb old school cell phone was getting more annoying by the second and still that new puppy hadn't shipped. Yes, I was checking the status every day. Until, finally!, after two weeks I saw it was prepared for shipment. Oh crap. Wait, someone has to be at the house to sign for the phone?! NO! I'll be at work and so will Roomies K and B and...oh wait, Roomie W will be home! No, no that's not true. Roomie W is going out of town that day. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? ...That's pretty much the stream of consciousness mayhem that was going on in my head. I was praying, yes actually praying, that on the day it was to be delivered the delivery person would stop at my house first thing in the morning so Roomie W would be there to sign for it. As I walked to work, I prayed for this. His eye is on the sparrow, kids.
Naturally, at work I checked periodically to see--DELIVERED! YES YES YES YESSSSSSS!!!!! Delivered and signed for by Roomie W. I got home that day to a beautiful new phone. All I had to do was hook it up to my computer to sync--"This device is not compatible with this machine." WHAT?!?!?! Not ANOTHER complication. I was thinking loud thoughts. But oh yes, my computer was not updated enough to handle a brand new iPhone. Sooooo I ditched Roomie K to pack by herself (rude) and headed back over to the nearest Apple store to have them set up my phone for me. It worked, it worked! yes! Only thing was, I needed to update my home computer with the latest operating system so that it would be compatible with the phone. No problem. I could do that.
A couple days later I practically was blind from staring at my phone so much. I was downloading apps, playing games, taking pictures of myself (don't judge, we all do it), deleting those pictures, adding contacts and generally loving the crap out of my new phone. I borrowed the discs for operating system Snow Leopard from a coworker and brought them home, ready to get all my gadgets synced up. I put the first disc in my computer and..."This OS cannot be installed because this machine does not have an Intel processor." I almost screamed. I really did almost do it.
So, I want a new computer. That's how they get us, isn't it? They convince me that this new phone is the one I have to have cause it's so cool, but then they also make it so I can't use my old computer with the new phone. I have to get a new computer to use the new phone. And dang it, Apple, I have such brand loyalty to you that I won't settle for anything else. For now I content myself with the Pandora radio app, and the various games and other apps I've downloaded for my user pleasure.
Fin.
By the way, I realize this story could have been about 8 paragraphs shorter, but I really needed you to know the struggle and emotional turmoil I dealt with in this whole process. It was dramatic. I'm still reeling.
L8rz.
P.S. I just took a picture of myself on my phone. It's a two way camera, so it's cooler than yours. Okay, I'll put it up.

3 comments:
And how about Facetime—what!!
Amazing how complicated one purchase can be. But congrats! That's exciting!
Ah, the iPhone. Finally helping America to catch up with Japan. TWO WAY CAMERA THIS!!! [Note: I'm pointing to my crotch]
Post a Comment