I've been way too productive lately and very homemaker-y, and it has really worn me out. This weekend was the first of nine that my roommates and I will spend without one of our own, Roomie K. She is medical missioning abroad for two months and has left us all to our own devices. I am determined not to be a hermit during her absence. I want to have something to show for these two months...perhaps there will be a show-and-tell presentation upon her return. Therefore, Roomie B and I have made a Bucket List. No, not a life/death bucket list. More of a goals list for the time during Roomie K's absence. But I digress. I was talking about my extraordinary productivity this weekend. Let me explain.
My house was a mess. Parts of it are still a mess. And I have some greatly anticipated company arriving this week, so a messy house is NOT okay with me. I chose to use this first weekend of the "Bucket List Era" as a semi-spring cleaning weekend. I did all my laundry, I cleaned the trickiest parts of the house [read: bathroom, kitchen, another bathroom], I went grocery shopping by myself for the first time in years and I cooked two meals for the week. WHAT?! This is not me. Usually I collaborate with Roomie K on the cooking and she comes up with all the meal ideas, but without her I did not flounder. And I'm impressed with Me. (No, not "myself". Me.) I made my first solo lasagna. That's right! Please don't judge me for the fact that I overcooked it by about a half hour. I forgot it was in the oven, okay! I was watching some TV and really just lost track of time. But I have a frozen lasagna ready for the weekend (that hopefully isn't ruined) and I'm quite pleased with myself. I also made some yummy Italian sausage/spinach/shell pasta soup for the next couple days. This weekend I also caught up on some TV episodes I'd missed, did a little reading, and caught up on some correspondence. PRODUCTIVE MUCH?!
Okay, so back to the Bucket List. Here are my main goals:
- Go to the gym regularly
- Drink more water
- Be social and not hermit-ish whilst Roomie K is gone
- Try new things around the city with Roomie B (i.e. restaurants, concert/sporting events, dancing, etc.)
- Eat nutritiously
I also need to practice the Borodin Quartet No. 2 since I'm supposed to be playing it with a chamber group in two weeks and I haven't even looked at the music. Okay, I looked at it. But have a I practiced it? Nope!
Now, my gym goal is nothing new and I've been mostly good about keeping it...with the exception of the past month. Oops. However, without my normal gym buddy around, I'm really going to have to make an effort to go. Cause let me tell you, the gym is a 20 minute walk from my house and once I get home after work I do NOT want to go out again. Plus, street parking is sparse in the general gym area and even walking home to drive to the gym takes (mostly mental) effort. Sooooo, new plan. I'm going to bring my gym bag to work with me during the week so that after I get off the metro in my neighborhood I can go straight to the gym and then walk home. Ugh, and double UGH! Keep in mind, this means I have to bring two bags on the metro and that is just pure awkward. Today was my first day of this new experiment and I was so that awkward girl with two bags. They kept falling down around my feet and I'd have to bend over to move them every time someone wanted to get past me. I couldn't hold them on my shoulders because, let's face it, that's just inconsiderate of the other riders. I can't stand it when people with their big shoulder bags and backpacks insist on keeping said bags on their shoulders and/or backs. That makes getting in the metro car during rush hour much more difficult. Keep the bags at your feet, peeps! Much easier and then I don't have to worry about a bag banging me in the face when I'm sitting down and you whip around really quickly to check which metro stop we've reached. Mmmmmkaythanksbye.
I would also like to note that it is very cumbersome to walk in the rain with two bags and an umbrella, especially when one bag is weighed down by a hefty coin bag. Yes, I have to stop at the bank and convert all my saved-up coins to bills. Gotta get me some spending money for the weekend, y'all!
So I'll let you know how the Bucket List goes. It's only Day 4. I have plenty of time...

No comments:
Post a Comment